Wednesday, August 22, 2012

To Have Some Privacy...

So we have known for sometime that the internet is not a private experience. Between the government and nosy people we cannot go about our business or general internet browsing without fear of someone stealing our identity. I have changed up how I do things to try and win back a bit of privacy. I don't do much on the internet. Mostly reading news, how-to's, history, etc.
Sometimes I get e-mails that say they are from my brother or son. At some point these two have had their e-mails compromised, it could be me. Who knows at this point. I have gone through the process of changing passwords and scrubbing my data to make sure it is clean. I also changed what I use to query the web.

I primarily use Linux as my OS and Firefox for the web browser. Below are the changes I have made in an attempt to make my browsing more secure.

1. Loaded the Ghostery & Betterprivacy plugin for Firefox.
2. Blocked all the tracking cookies
3. Turned on the privacy option in Firefox, delete all cookies upon closing Firefox.
4. Use Startpage for all searches. https://us4.startpage.com/

I also went so far to load up TOR. This will be handy as we head down the censorship path on the web. https://www.torproject.org/

If you want to maintain privacy, not partake in censorship, or maybe you like to think for yourself take a look at the options above. A lot of information on securing your browsing is out there, you just need to take the responsibility and do the research.

** Be aware that you are never totally secure. Bad people will find ways to access your information. Why make it easy?

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment