Saturday, September 8, 2012

To Enhance My Icom IC-910...

I have been evaluating the Baofeng UV-5R 144/440 handy talkie. So far I am really impressed with the function of the radio. I have read many reviews about the radio over at eham.net. 
Like any product there will be folks who like it and folks who don't. As I mentioned above I am having good luck with the radio.

Anyway, I wanted to expand the capabilities of my IC-910. Off to the internet I go in search of how to do this procedure. The internet is such a wonderful place, filled with how-to's for everything under the sun. Some of the IC-910 radios have the ability to receive much more than they can transmit. Older generation radios need to have a few diodes removed. When this is done the radio does not turn into a super receiver/transmitter. It just opens up the receive more like the modern radios available to day. Of course the transmit can be opened up, but be careful.

I purchased the filters and 1Ghz module and got those installed. Found a couple of places that had procedures for increasing the performance of the rig. Here are the links to those sites. These are .pdf files, download them and file for future reference.

Icom IC-910 Mods

Icom IC-910 Mods plus all the other Icom mods.

** Transmitting outside of the amateur radio bands is illegal, as well as operating an amateur radio station without a license. Had to include that one.

** Any modifications you do are done at your own risk.

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment